TOP 10 QUESTIONS for any caterer are:
1. Will you offer a better pricing if we guarantee a higher guest count?
2. Do you charge us for equipment rental?
*sometimes venues do not provide off-premise caterer with equipment. These items can be Chafing dishes / Serving bowls and utensils*especially if you are planning a family style service. Hence, it is important to find out in advance if your caterer will charge you for these rentals. Also, ask them if you can provide your own vendor referral for these items?
3. Have you worked with our venue prior? If not, will you conduct a meeting with venue prior to our event to visit their kitchen / review your access to kitchen / check on equipment list?
4. What is your charge for Kitchen Personnel?
5. Is there a on-site supervisor fee? Is it one-time fee or you charge for ceremony and reception separately?
6. How many kitchen personnel are required from your company for our event size? * This will allow you to identify total amount you will be spending with that caterer
7. Will you personally attend the event? If not, can we meet the supervisor prior to our event?
8. What is the transportation fee? Again, is it a one-time fee or charged separately for ceremony and reception?
9. Is there a service charge applicable; If so, how much? If not, how much gratuity do you recommend for your staff at the end of the day?
10. What items do you prepare on-site and what you bring from your kitchen pre cooked?
Finally, you should always hire a caterer who can provide a liability insurance certificate to your venue for the amount required by the venue. Without this insurance certificate, your caterer will not be allowed to enter the venue and most caterers are happy to provide this when requested.